Saturday, April 25, 2015

Avoiding "Workout Negotiating"

My Top Five Favorite Workouts For the Workout Negotiator

Often when I go to the gym, I am guilty of being a "workout negotiator." I approach on a piece of cardio equipment, determined to meet a certain goal. Then, as soon as I start exercising, I immediately find myself internally negotiating, thinking maybe I don't need to complete my full time goal, and that maybe just fifteen, or ten, or even five minutes would suffice. I enjoy exercising, but monotonous workouts often make me lose interest quickly. Over time, I have searched for new workout plans or activities that keep me entertained while also helping me maintain the right level of intensity in my workout. Here are the top five workouts that keep me from negotiating my way out of exercising:


1. HIIT/Tobata Workouts
      
One of my favorite boredom-busting workouts is High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). HIIT workouts involve short bursts of high-energy cardio or weight exercises with brief rest periods in between. These workouts allow you to incorporate a variety of different activities into one workout and keep you entertained while still providing a challenging workout plan. Another great thing about HIIT workouts is that they are customizable and allow you to choose the intensity level you want to exert in your exercises.

Here's an example of a short HIIT cardio workout plan:


2. TRX/Suspension Training

I started using the TRX suspension ropes during my workouts when I was training with Kristen and Micah at ENP, and I still enjoy using the TRX to change up my workouts. TRX training is a great way to build strength without using weights. There are also so many ways to use the TRX suspension ropes that it is easy to create a full-body strength workout using the TRX alone!

Here is a TRX workout plan that provides some helpful images for beginners:


3. Trade the Treadmill for an Outdoor Workout

An especially easy way to change up your workouts and make them more entertaining is moving your workouts outside! Now that it's spring and the weather is (usually) beautiful, it's a great time to incorporate outdoor workouts. Move your run from the treadmill to a running path outside, run the stairs of a nearby building, or even walk outside in the evenings to maintain your cardiovascular endurance in a more entertaining way!

Aren't these beautiful State House steps just asking you to come run them?


4. Partner Workouts

One of the best ways to avoid workout negotiating is to bring a workout buddy to the gym with you for accountability and motivation. Partner workouts are entertaining and fun, and even allow you to create some healthy competition with your workout partner. The only thing better than seeing results is sharing your progress with a friend!

If this doesn't build friendship, I don't know what does!


5. Group Exercise Classes

Participating in group exercise classes like Boot Camp, Yoga, and Spin Class helps you change up your workout routine and try new exercise styles. The instructor will help you stay motivated, and the group class environment will help you work hard throughout the class. GX classes are also a great way to try new exercises for free (group exercise classes are typically included with your gym membership).

Group exercise classes are a great way to stay motivated and avoid negotiation during your workout!


No comments:

Post a Comment